Monday, July 06, 2009

Confessions of an Occasional Art Student

When I was called to come to Rockport for a job interview, I asked my mom what Rockport was like. She described it as an "artist colony" on the coast. She was right. Rockport offers many local artist, galleries, exhibits, and art classes. I have taken classes down town at Estelle Stair Gallery and learned to appreciate things like: line, color, and composition. I see the elements of design everywhere now.

That being said, I was recently at Anne's mother's house and I notice a picture on the wall. I liked it a lot, so I asked where they got it, and Anne said, "Wal-Mart."

Really? So I took that moment to confess to Anne (and confess to you here today) that I like hotel art. Happily, she replied, "Me too!"

This is a picture that hung above the toilet in a hotel I stayed in while on vacation in New York. I took the picture because I didn't want to forget how pretty it was. I don't know why I like it, because it wasn't until I was flushing the toilet that I took notice. Aaahhhh the irony, and poses the question:

Should "art" be in the bathroom and if it is, is it art?"





No comments: